Has anyone's CD ever been been struck by lightning?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MarcMcCarron

Post by MarcMcCarron »

What was the outcome?
MARC MCCARRON
neil
Cape Dory 25, hull # 253
Key West, The Conch Republic.

Post by neil »

Mine was grazed, if not hit outright.
I say grazed because the damage was minimal, it just hit my running lights and the fuse and switch for them.
The lights exploded leaving red and green plastic fragments on the deck and the fuse and switch exploded and melted.
other than that there was no damage so I am very lucky.
I have worked on boats that have hit directly and it can be horrifying.

Lightning is no good for boats.
}=-(-_-)-={
darmoose
Mystic Rose

lightning strike

Post by darmoose »

Mystic Rose was hit by lightning 3 yrs ago, sitting at my dock, behind my house at 2 pm. some of my neighbors saw it. they said it was a fireball about the size of a car that came lengthwise down my canal and slammed into the boat.

when i got home from work, i was walking around the pool, doing a quick inspection, as i usually do when coming home, when i started finding plastic peices and wire and metal parts, both in my pool and around the deck.

i finally looked up to see the tricolor light was blown off my mast, along with the vhf antenna, and the annemometer. went down below to find that most of my electronics were out of order.

was able to start the engine and get her to the yard and hauled. she spent the next month in repairs, got all new electronics.

no damage to the hull or anything else as she was properly bonded and the dynaplate worked to dissipate the strike.

Boat US insurance paid over $12,000 to repair and replace. they were great about everything. have had no lingering problems since, all is well.

FWISF

darrell
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Lightning Strike

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

My previous CD-28 was hit by lightning while on a mooring, no one was aboard at the time. Fortunately, it was the first year I owned it and there were no electronics aboard, so I didn't have problems with inductive current.
The Davis wind indicator on the masthead was vaporized, I still have the stub as a souvenir. The grounding system seemed to have worked well. A few of the teak plugs covering fasteners were blown out. Inductive current traveled along the bilge pump hose, which had a spiral wire reinforcement, and exited at the plastic thru hull, where it left a charred, melted mark, about the only significant damage.
I believe the grounding system did what it should and allowed the lightning to exit the boat with the least amount of damage.

Regards,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
In lightning free San Diego