No cunningham sailor w/ cracks beginning to show on hatches

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

oyster22

No cunningham sailor w/ cracks beginning to show on hatches

Post by oyster22 »

My mainsail has no cunningham. Neither the luff nor the foot are as tight as I'd like them; i.e. they have a little play in them. I've tugged on the halyard til I can tug no more. The little block in the outhaul doesn't really afford all too much purchase in drawing the main aftwards.

Also some spider-cracks are beginning to appear on surface of hatches in cockpit and I think UV light beginning to impact surface of hatch over cabin. Should I sand and paint?

Any advice on either of these problems much appreciate...oyster2
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Cunningham

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
I suggest you check with a local sailmaker about adding a cunningham eye in the main. I wouldn't think that it would be too expensive and would be well worth it.
As far as the outhaul is concerned, yes, it's almost impossible to adjust once you're under sail. I preadjust at the dock based on curent wind conditions before going out.
Sure, I'd paint the hatches. If the hatch surface is non skid, you may want to wire brush rather than sand before painting.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Bolt rope

Post by Neil Gordon »

As has been mentioned here before, sometimes the boltrope shrinks and you can't tension the foot of the sail as a result. Your sailmaker can fix this. If it's not that, cleaning and lubricating the track might help reduce friction. You can always add purchase by adding a block for mechanical advantage.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
oyster22

bolt rope?

Post by oyster22 »

is the bolt rope you refer to also called a downhaul; if so, this line is tight. Maybe the main halyard (which is only 2 yrs old) strechtes out after the main is raised. i've suspected but can't prove this theory without I think having a new halyard installed. If the bolt rope is neither of these lines, it's something I don't know about and could definitely represent the source of the loose fitting sails.

The give along the foot is there when the sail is raised; it's not a case of the outhaul easing up under sail.

Many thanks for all the suggestions. Will get to the scrubbing & painting...oyster
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Bolt Rope

Post by Neil Gordon »

The bolt rope is sewn into the foot of the sail. It's not a control line. If it shrinks, you won't be able to tension the sail along the foot since you'll be at the limit of the rope before the sail gets stretched out.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698