Mast supports

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Mast supports

Post by Peter Kozup »

I plan to take my CD26 down the Erie Canal from Buffalo to Oswego and north to Thousand Islands and back again later this summer. I will, of course have to unstep the mast in Buffalo and step it in Oswego and then reverse that coming back. At first I was going to just put the mast onto the Bow Pulpit and the Stern Pulpit, but I think I should construct some sort of supports to hold the mast higher above the deck. Does anyone have plans for constructing such supports, one for the bow and one for the stern??
Also, does anyone know of a place in either Buffalo or Oswego where I could step and unstep the mast aside from the commercial places -- I'm thinking of a Yacht Club with a hoist that would allow me to do this on my own, to save money. Doing the stepping and unstepping myself has the potential to save me $500.
Thanks for any ideas.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Stepping The Mast

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Peter,

How tall is your mast. Is it keel stepped or on a tabernacle? We have an "L" shaped hoist at the Oswego Maritime Foundation that I think would be alright for you to use. Let me find out for sure, get permission tomorrow.

BTW, plan your trip to make sure you're nowheres near Oswego on the last weekend of July. That's when they hold Harborfest. It's like a nautical version of the New Orleans Mardi Gras. No moorings or tie ups available. Rafting along the river is five, sometimes six deep. Boats come in from everywhere.

Since you are cruising up to Canada and the St. Laurence River, you should be aware that the second weekend of August is the end of Pirate Week in Alexandria Bay in the Thousand Islands. That, also, gets a little zoolike. Beaucoup bateaux.

If you time your trip right, the last lock of the Erie Canal, Oswego River branch, is right in Oswego. People traveling the canal can tie up overnight free of charge. I've got a set of wheels so you can reprovision or whatever. It would be good to see you again.

When you get up to the St Laurence, you're going to be in Ed Haley's neck of the woods.

Keep in touch. We'll see what happens.

O J
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Post by Peter Kozup »

Hi OJ,
Sorry that we couldn't have hooked up again in Erie as we were going to, but perhaps that will happen after the summer rush.
Thanks again for your comments about my proposed trip. The mast is about 30' long I believe. Unfortunately my CD Manuals are on the boat and I'm writing this from home. I will check the manuals when I get to the boat this coming week and let you know the exact length.
I'll be looking forward to visiting with you again, and perhaps downing a bit of liquid refreshment while we're at it.
I wonder if anyone out there has seen any plans for constructing the mast supports to use while the mast is down and being carried between the bow and stern pulpits. I know such supports exist, and perhaps they are just so simple to construct that even someone with ten thumbs, ie., someone like me, could do it without thinking about it. But, I thought if someone has plans for such supports I wouldn't try to invent the wheel.
Take care OJ and I'll be in touch.
Fair Winds.
uncwillie

mast stepping, supports

Post by uncwillie »

Hi Peter;

I have devised a nice way to step a tabernacle mast and mades a s2x4 stern crotch for carrying the mast on her trailer. would be glad to share them with you if you like. You can do it all single handed, using the mainsheet blocks for lowering raising/lowering, and vee harnesses on the gunwales to control the sidesway.
Uncwillie, born to sail.......
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

uncwillie

I am about to pull my 25D in the next month and add a hinged tabernacle. I would love to see your setup. I assume from your description it is similar to one printed in Good Old Boat sometime ago. I have that article, but want to see how yours works.

Thanks

cd25d@^&%#(&$^%clnk.com remove everything between the @ and the c
Bill Member #250.
uncwillie

mast stepping on CD 25

Post by uncwillie »

Hi Barfwrinkle;

My version

Yes, i've seen the article and my version is similar. I made a mast clamp from two short pcs of 2x4, which clamped to the mast, with threaded rod, wingnuts, trapping a 14' 2x2 between them, with appropriate hardware for the mainsheet/boom vang and jib halyard to attach to. I think it's a good idea to clamp the hoisting pole (it's not a 'gin pole' in the truest sense) to the mast, not much trouble for the stability gained. 14' happened to be the length that was available but will shorten it a couple feet, as it's not necessary to have it that long, especially when using the three part tackle of the mainsheet blocks, or boom vang. I also think a two part tackle would be enough as mine went down with two fingers on the line, right into the 2x4 crotch fit on the transom and stern rail, singlehanded. A camcleat is definitely an asset, if you need to interupt the operation for any reason, like a pretty girl, or curious onlookers often found in marinas. My vee bridles were tied to the aft lower chainplates, and two holes i drilled in the toerail 3' forward of that. The tied loop formed in the vee coincides with the pivot of the mast tabernacle, and i used the aft lowers to the bridles via a rolling hitch on them. Two other lines ran from the same loop to the midpoint of the pole. If you sketch it out, the lines stay taught thruout the descent, changing length insignificantly. I left the uppers attached, for the initial support they offer, loosened one side enough to let the mast start back. I think lashing the mast to the bow pulpit is ok, with a good stern crotch, may not make any other supports. I'm only going to Florida.... :)
Uncwillie, born to sail.......