Hood roller furling (LD)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Jarrell

Hood roller furling (LD)

Post by Bill Jarrell »

Hello Everyone,

Recently, I've stepped up, rather I stepped laterally from a '76 CD25 to a '81 CD25. The '81 CD has Hood double line Roller Furling, I believe it is the 705 Line Drive System (LD). The '76 CD had single line furling so I'm at a loss as to some aspects of the two line system. I have the Genny up and furled, but I'm not sure I did it correctly, or that I haven't secured the drum properly. I don't want to discover my mistakes when I really need the system to work. There were no instructions, manual, that accompanied the furling system on how to rig the sail after the furling system was installed. Is there any info available regarding the proper way of securing the sail to the furling drum, securing the drum to the stem/bow bronze casting , preventive maintenance, etc.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill
Bob Luby

LD system

Post by Bob Luby »

I have an LD system on Grendel. It's fine.

Support for Hood Seafurl units can be found on the Pompanette .com web site.

One tip - If you're having trouble with the halyard swivel hanging up on the foil. Tighten the backstay. This tensions the forestay and that straightens out the foil.

Fair winds.
________
Essential Vaaapp Vaporizer
________
Willys
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:31, edited 2 times in total.
Nigel Noble

Post by Nigel Noble »

I have a continuous line Hood roller furler on my boat that I have had no problems with. When you say two line do you mean a continuous line? If it is, I can make some suggestions that may be helpful. I am not at home but have an interesting article which I would be happy to send you.

As to basic maintenance, I soak mine overnight in water at the end of the season and wash it down during.

I have never found any info on the Pompanette site. Where should I be looking?
Nigel Noble
1976 CD 25 #419 s/v JANE