Balmar and Ample Power products

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

chuck yahrling

Balmar and Ample Power products

Post by chuck yahrling »

Anybody have any experience with Ample Power or Balmar alternators and regulators? Good or bad experiences, anecdotal info desired.
tks!

yahrling@cybertours.com
Duane Yoslov

Re: Balmar and Ample Power products

Post by Duane Yoslov »

chuck yahrling wrote: Anybody have any experience with Ample Power or Balmar alternators and regulators? Good or bad experiences, anecdotal info desired.
tks!
I've got a Balmar 100 amp alternator on my CD330. I modified it by pulling off the internal regulator and adding an extenal constant voltage reg. for my Gel batteries. I've only lightly worked the system on week long trips up to the Delta and such and it has worked great but I've heard mixed feedback on reliability in the long run. There's a guy in the Bay Area - David Eidel - who builds a bullet proof 120 amp alternator that he builds himself. He can be reached at 510-552-8448. He helped me out once in Cabo and did the mod. to my current system. I highly recommend him for charging systems.

Happy Sailing
Duane Yoslov

yoslovd@aol.com
Russ Campbell

Re: Balmar and Ample Power products

Post by Russ Campbell »

chuck yahrling wrote: Anybody have any experience with Ample Power or Balmar alternators and regulators? Good or bad experiences, anecdotal info desired.
tks!
Chuck, I just put an Ample Power alternator and Next Step regulator in my boat. I found them very nice people to deal with. They answered all my questions and helped me to pick out the best system for me.
So far I haven't really tested it but I have run the boat and everything is working as promised. I would check out their web page at http://www.amplepower.com/
and read the Ample Power Primer this answered a lot of questions for me. Good luck
Russ

camroll@together.net
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Balmar wiring

Post by moctrams »

Installed a 621 series Balmar Alternator on my 82 CD 30C. Does anyone have a schematic of the wiring "hook-up"of the old wiring? I'm confused about some of the old wires that went to the old alternator. Balamr instructions tell me not to connect to certain terminals on the Balmar that could result in damage to the alternator. Also, one Balmar instruction tells me to connecct the ground to the "IG" (Isolated Ground) terminal on the Balmar, while another instruction tells me to connect the ground to the bolt on the adjustment arm on the alternator.
Maine Sail

While Balmar..

Post by Maine Sail »

While Balmar alternators are of decent quality they are way over priced. The Leece Neville (the new Motorolla / Prestolite) are just as good for far less money. I have owned many boats and had many alternator / regulator configurations and find the easiest most reliable is the built in adjustable regulator that Leece Neville ships with their MR line of alternators.

Why don't I like Balmar? Well for one I have had three of their external regulators fail at the worst possible time and they have all been "just out of warranty" and Balmar would do nothing even after three failed units!

The biggest reason is I see so little actual difference between "dumb" regulators and so called "smart" regulators that I can no longer justify using an over priced marketing gimmick.

My Xantrex XBM tells me all I need to know about charging and it also told me how badly I had been scammed by the "smart regulator" marketing gurus. When My ARS-4 failed I re-installed the built in regulator that came with my Leece Neville 90 amp alt.. After some measurements I discovered that it took approx 8 minutes longer to reach 90% charge from 50% charge with the "dumb regulator". I also discovered that the batteries decide what to accept beyond 90% and it was the same voltage as my fancy ARS-4. So much for the "overcharging" scare tactics..

If you want my advice stay away from external regulation and add a small solar panel to "top up" the last 10% takes a very long time no matter whose alternator/regulator you have...
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

If you are looking for power products I recommend Hamilton Ferris. They were very helpful to me by phone and I was able to put a very simple but effective system together easily. I have installed their solar panel with regulator and it tops off my T-105's very well. I now never have battery issues, but I do not place heavy demand on it either.

Anyway, they are very helpful,

Hope this helps,
Paul