New paint to be named after Carter Brey

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joeeb

New paint to be named after Carter Brey

Post by joeeb »

Barnacle-busting paint makes ships' voyages greener

Robin McKie, science editor
Sunday June 24, 2007
The Observer

Scientists have developed a novel way to combat one of the world's stickiest and most expensive maritime problems: the encrusting of ships' hulls by algae and barnacles. They have created a special coating, using nanotechnology, that is engineered to a scale of a millionth of a millimetre. Organisms that try to hitch a ride will simply slip off.

The development, announced at the EuroNanoForum in Dusseldorf last week, is important because 'bio-fouling' costs billions of pounds a year, not just to the shipping industry but to private yachtsmen and owners of power and desalination plants whose pipes get blocked by bacteria and barnacles. In addition, ships burn excess fuel with encrusted hulls, increasing carbon emissions; while current anti-fouling paints are thought to harm sealife.

Article continues
'We badly need a new anti-fouling agent and nanotechnology will provide it,' said Frederic Luizi, research director of Nanocyl, a member of the European consortium Ambio.

Algae and barnacles have always been maritime scourges. The Greeks used pitch to discourage them while the Romans found copper nails released poisons that helped kill them. Yet the problem has remained a major headache.

Once a ship is encrusted, its speed can be reduced by up to 10 per cent, while fuel consumption rises by 40 per cent. The world's shipping fleets spend more than £5bn on the problem annually.

Biocidal paints - which poison anything that adheres to a surface - are often used. But 20 years ago scientists discovered that tributyltin, a key agent, was poisoning marine organisms and triggering sex reversals in creatures like the dog whelk. Now it is banned. Instead, copper-based compounds are used though fears are mounting about their impact and restrictions may soon be introduced. 'Rather than kill organism once they are attached to hulls, we need to prevent them from latching on in the first place,' said Luizi.

Some silicone paints do this but have limited efficacy. But by incorporating carbon nanotubes, tiny cylinders of carbon, each a thousand times thinner than a human hair, into paints, scientists have created a material that stops organisms sticking to hulls.

'Nanotubes disrupt the paint surface at the molecular level so the glue molecules cannot operate effectively. When the ship moves, the organisms are swept away,' said Professor James Callow, the consortium's co-ordinator.
Dean Abramson

Puzzled

Post by Dean Abramson »

I must be missing something. What does this have to do with our man Carter...?

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
photochief
Papa's Pride
Little Creek Amphibious Base

Carter Brey was chosen because...

Post by photochief »

A few months back while watching a science show the topic of nanotechnology being used in anti-critter coatings was explained. Since the possibility of once and forever ridding our vessels of critters is music to our ears I believe this is an excellent reason for, at least, participants of this site refer to this type of coating by the generic name of Carter Brey Coating. Decades from now newby sailors will ask the about this strange name as I often wondered why a good meal is at times called a square meal. I learned the answer to this question while visiting the Chief's Mess aboard a British frigate. Various paint companies will invent catchy names but at capedory.net it will simply be some CB coating. :D
PhotoChief
Dean Abramson

Yes, but...

Post by Dean Abramson »

If it prevents permanent attachment to a boat, shouldn't we name it after Sea Hunt?

:-)
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hey, I "resemble" that remark :!: :)

I am actively and aggressively trying to attach myself to a Cape Dory. I presently have two possibilities that I am pursuing. Unfortunately, price is a significant issue in both. I live on a small federal government pension and have to make allowance for beer and Jack Daniels. :D

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Re: Yes, but...

Post by John D. »

Dean Abramson wrote:If it prevents permanent attachment to a boat, shouldn't we name it after Sea Hunt?

I laughed so loud my cat fell off the windowsill :D
Judith

Re: Yes, but...

Post by Judith »

Dean Abramson wrote:If it prevents permanent attachment to a boat, shouldn't we name it after Sea Hunt?

Sorry, Sea Hunt, but that is just TOO hilarious!

Cheers,
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Dean Abramson

Good sport

Post by Dean Abramson »

I know Robert is a good sport, and I appreciate it.

I just get a little nasty when I know there is a contrarian guy out there who doesn't spend most of his free time repairing stuff. It's just not right.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Dean:

Wrong :!: :)

I used to spend most of my time repairing stuff. For years I was constantly repairing video cameras and underwater housings. If ever there were two things that were not meant to be near each other (besides Cheney and any other hunter :wink: ) its electronics and salt water.

Fair winds,

Robert
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

After the sour taste left in my mouth by the contrarian America's Cup, this one made me laugh :D

I second the motion of the CB nano underwater paint.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
joeeb

Post by joeeb »

I knew this board could field a non sequitor about Carter and
turn it into something funny.
I miss the frequency of the "Brey silliness" that infused this board
and triggered our inner child and then along came Sabre
Yatchs who made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Nanotechnology

Post by Carter Brey »

Incredible. I've seen my name in lights, but this... *koff*

I just returned from the July 4th Cape Dory float-in at Oyster Bay, NY. We celebrated by testing the waterproofness of our cabins under a nightlong deluge complimented by gale-force winds. Henry Hey (CD 25 "Homeward Bound") and I were nervous enough that we each set two anchors. That meant that this morning we each got to pull up twice the usual amount of stinky black mud and eyeless crawling things.

There was, despite the weather, a great turnout; I counted seventeen of us all at once aboard the beautiful CD 40 "Restless". At least, that's how many I could see; there might have been more people down in the bowling alley past the forepeak. The potluck dinner was varied and delicious, and Michael Heintz (who also gallantly provided launch service for those of us who had only oar-powered dingies, or none at all) had managed to locate a New Zealand Chardonnay called "Oyster Bay". I have no idea if it was any good. I had my face buried in my Dark 'n Stormies.

Yes, the fireworks were visible despite the cloud cover.

It was a nice event, thanks to the organizational dedication of Cathy Monaghan. Great to see all you folks there. And the sailing, for three days in a row, turned out to be sensational, despite the constant warnings of thunderstorms. Henry in his CD 25 and I in my Brand X yacht enjoyed a lively sail, close hauled against the building southwesterlies, back to our home port of City Island. We reconvened at "The Snug" and embroidered our tales of sailing bravado over healthful libations served by a lusty wench. The perfect end to a perfect day for two musicians and one computer software developer (Henry's crew) with dreams of canvas crown'd glory on the high seas.

Carter