Cabin Sole, Hatches etc part II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Cabin Sole, Hatches etc part II

Post by barfwinkle »

Happy Father's day papas

Has anyone actually installed a new hatch in the sole of a 25D?

I am curious (before I cut a new hatch) if anyone knows exactly whats under dar?

FW
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

bump :)
Bill Member #250.
RC James

25D soles and holes

Post by RC James »

I'm assuming that you're intending to cut an -additional- hole in your cabin sole. If you stick your head into the original bilge hole and look forward, you should be able to see anything that might impede your desire to find extra storage space.
If memory serves me correctly, the 25D has a shallow run under the sole from the head past the compression post back to the drop into the bilge. Be forwarned that any overflow from the head compartment that pools into the shallow sump below the head (be it water from the sink/open hatch/or other stuff ) has a tendency to evacuate along this run before dropping into the bilge.
If you decide to use this space for storage, you'll only find about 6-8 inches of vertical space, and about the same horizontally. Perhaps you could use rubbermaid containers similar to the storage over the engine compartment to keep things dry.
RC 25D #10