It doesn't get any better...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Peladeau

It doesn't get any better...

Post by Joe Peladeau »

I just had to share this...

I'm the proud owner (and getting prouder) of a CD 36 and Sunday was the first time I've been able to get out this season due to launch and tinkering delays. The sail plan for the afternoon called for a 5 mile out, 5 mile back excursion. The sun was shinning brightly with a temp in the mid seventies,wind blowing at 6 to 7 knots and the lake was flat calm. I raised everything I had and headed up close hauled and was amazed to read 5.5 on the knot meter with apparent wind in the 8 to 9 knot range. I quickly began to blow by a host of boats at at least a knot faster than anyone I approached. The captains of the slow pokes kept yelling at me to turn the engine off.

I've had this boat a year now and this is the first time I've had her out in light winds. I was incredibly impressed with the CD's light air performance.

I just had to share this as most of the folks in my marina have been heckling me that I had bought a slug and nothing short of 20 knots of wind would ever make it move. They are all whistling a different tune.

It's Tuesday evening and I'm still smiling over the experience.

Best Regards,
Joe
mahalocd36

Re: It doesn't get any better...

Post by mahalocd36 »

Joe Peladeau wrote:

I just had to share this as most of the folks in my marina have been heckling me that I had bought a slug and nothing short of 20 knots of wind would ever make it move. They are all whistling a different tune.
What, did they think you bought an Island Packet? LOL

Congratulations on discovering the joys of light air sailing :-)
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

That reminds me of our survey-sail...

Post by Warren S »

There were 4 of us aboard the CD270 including the surveyor, when he commented we were "kicking a__" on a newer, 30-something Hunter. The CD's sails are all original from '84, which are a tad blown out.

...and I had never sailed a boat this heavy let alone this particular one.
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton