Shape of jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ckelly

Shape of jib

Post by ckelly »

When sailing up wind in light air (5-6-7-mph) I cannot get a good shape to my 140% jib. I gets hooked on the spreaders, billows out, and just does not look good. I moved the slide forward and backward without much improvement. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks, Chris
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

I'm not entirely clear about the problem.

Post by John D. »

Is the sail not flat enough? How old is it? If it has adjustment cords in the foot and leach, you could slacken them.

Since you're using a 140%, I assume it is a light air problem. I put myself and crew to leeward in those conditions, to induce heel, the sail gets proper shape from gravity, and the wind does not have to keep it full.
Ed Haley

Trimming a big genoa

Post by Ed Haley »

It sounds to me like you're trimming it in too much and stalling the sail. When in doubt, let it out.

Put the jiblead as far foward as it will travel. Then, when you're heading up wind, keep the sail about a foot off the spreader tip and gradually bring it in to about 4-6 inches as you come up to speed.

On a reach, let it out until it shakes and then bring it in a bit.

I hope you have added 3 sets of telltails about 14 inches from the luff. Then you can use them to fine-tune your performance. Make them stream aft as much as possible.
Dean Abramson

Pinching?

Post by Dean Abramson »

Sounds like you might be trying to point a little too high. You might have to fall off a bit, compared to sailing with your working jib. And I second it, crew weight to leeward will make a big difference on a small boat in light air.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

CAUTION :!: WARNING :!: The following suggestion is coming from a "newbie" who does not yet even own a sailboat.

From the little I have absorbed in classes and Saturday regattas with Harbor 20s, in light winds you will get a better sail shape with a slightly "looser" (sp?) luff on the jib/genoa.

If you have telltales on the 140 genoa/jib as suggested by Ed H., if the upper/top telltale is fluttering (the top third of the sail is luffing), move the traveler car forward on the track to increase leech tension. This will reduce the natural tendency of the sail to twist because of its shape. "TTFF" - Top Telltale Flutters, Forward

If the lower/bottom telltale is fluttering, move the traveler car back on the track to reduce leech tension. This will add a little twist at the top of the jib. "BTFB" - Bottom Telltale Flutters, Back

Again, remember, I am a newbie without a sailboat. My suggestion is worth less than what you have paid for it. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
ckelly

Post by ckelly »

Thanks for all the good advise and ideas. The sail is new and does have telltails. I wll have to pay more attention to the tell tails. Pinching is always such a temption that never works. As I said in stronger air the sail shape seems better, I will have to be more patient in light air. Plus who can forget ttff and btfb. Thanks, Chris