CD25 Outboard

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I am told that the new 4-strokes develop a lot more torque than their comparable 2-strokes. Enough so that they can twist the motor mounts and crack the motor well fiberglass at significant throttle. does anyone have this similar observation. In that case, maybe the less powerful 6 hp 4-stroke, although very capable to power the CD25, is truly the way to go. Plus, since Henry's is the 2-stroke (I too early on got the impression it was the 4-stroke), the present day 4-stroke 8 hp may be too big to fit in the well.
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Sizes

Post by henry hey »

I believe this is the correct owner's manual for my 2stroke 8hp.

(It will load a .pdf into your browser -- or you can 'right click' and save the .pdf to your desktop and open it with a viewer. Mac users can hold down ctrl and click for an option to save it to disk)

I think my motor is either the 8BEF or the 8BEP -- they both appear to be the electric start version and they also appear to be the same size/weight.

http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/p ... 000011.pdf

You can also see all of the specs for the newer nissans on this referring page.

http://www.nissanmarine.com/tech_talk/o ... nuals.html[/url]
Barry

Post by Barry »

Scott,
I use a Yamaha 8hp four-stroke, without the tiller handle. I had to have a remote installed to the front of the cockpit. It works very well, avoids the crowded problem, but adds about three hundred dollars to cost.
Barry
Scott B.

CD25 Outboard

Post by Scott B. »

Thanx to all who provided input previously. It is apparent that all of the manufacturers I have researched and distributors I have visited (Nissan/Tohatsu, Merc, Johnson, Evinrude) make their small 4-stroke engines in similar fashion. The version up to and including the 5/6 hp models have a body shape that most likely fits in the CD25 motor well (I have only confirmed the N/T, the others look the same). Once you jump to the 8 hp and above range, the body size changes and does not fit. Yamaha has a 8 hp high thrust that could fit but costs twice what the N/T 6 hp does by mail order. I think I am running with the 6 hp. Thanx for your help
Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

Honda classic in my CD 25

Post by Tom Foley »

Last year I installed a Honda classic 8HP which is physically smaller than the regular Honda 8. I'm in a pretty swift current and need the 8HP. It fits nicely. Had to adjust the motor mount. The tiller will fold down to allow installation and then pull up to horizontal for access through the motor trapezoid panel. Search the site for my posts last July about this subject
Happy sailing.

Hi Carl.