Typhoon teak trim

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pete S

Typhoon teak trim

Post by Pete S »

Question for those who have done it or know. Would I be opening up a can of worms by taking off the trim around the cabin hatch for refinishing? How are the screws bedded?
I'd leave them in place to finish, but the weather is going to kill my timetable so I'd just as soon remove them and take them home to finish. I just don't want a project re-attaching them.
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

The pieces you are referring to are simply screwed into the companionway bulkhead and the top of the cabin with stainless screws. You first need to remove the bungs (wooden plugs) that cover the screws. There are many ways to do this. I prefer using a very small sharp chisel and carefully remove the bungs in pieces rather than trying to remove them in one piece. Sometimes the sides of the bungs if removed as one piece can lift up the edges of the wood around the hole. Once the bungs are removed it is as easy as unscrewing the pieces. When you put them back on after finishing them (finish all of the sides of each piece) make sure you bed the pieces with some caulking, I like using polysulfides like Lifecalk myself. Once the pieces are screwed back in place you can put new bungs in. They sell a package of teak ones at West for less than ten bucks. Trim the top of the bungs with a sharp chisel so that they are flush with the rest of the piece and with a very small brush top off with the finish of your choice. It may sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't that bad. You will get the finish you want from having a controlled environment in which to varnish, cetol, oil, whatever you plan on doing. You will also by rebedding the pieces with caulking which will prevent water from migrating behind these pieces which can lead to other more serious problems. Good luck!
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Pete S

all off

Post by Pete S »

Tim, thanks for the advise. It's the best thing I could have done. Everything is off that was reasonable to take off. Already cleaned sanded and first coat of Cetol on.