CD 27 Light Bulb search

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ken Textor

CD 27 Light Bulb search

Post by Ken Textor »

Does anyone know where I can get the tube-like, incandescent, 12-V light bulb that goes in the mast-mounted, foredeck light of a 1979 CD 27? I have tried some other similar-looking bulbs that I found at West Marine, Hamilton Marine, etc., but none seem to work. Electricity is definitely getting to the + and - terminals of the device. Suggestions?

kt
________
BUY AIR ONE VAPORIZER
Last edited by Ken Textor on Feb 10th, '11, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Post by Mike Raehl »

Ken,
I got mine from West Marine. They do carry more than one brand. Use a powerful magnifying glass to read the spec on the base of the old bulb and then look at WM for an equivalent watts, amps, etc.

If that doesn't work, I can look in my spare parts box. Challenge is with the mast up, won't know which bulbs fit the deck light, the running light or the anchor light. If you can send me a private message with a picture of your old bulb I probably can match it to one of my spares.

I launched last Tuesday and sailed to the harbor yesterday.
Mike Raehl
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I used to get that bulb from an auto supply house. It was an exact match. If you have "+" going up the mast and "-" coming down, any bulb should, at least, glow. I think that type of bulb is referred to as a "bayonet" mount.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (The self proclaimed "Sailing Capital of the World" where power boaters always dip their ensigns to those under sail.) MD
CDSOA Founding Member