Air Filter Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Air Filter Questions

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello to all

Just a quick question or invitation to comment concerning air filters.

After purchasing a Yanmar filter for the 1GM and thinking about the foam that covers the wire mesh being sucked into the engine I talked with our marina mechanic and he stated that most marine diesels either dont have OR dont use filters at all.

I really dont like the thought of all that foam being sucked into the engine so I was looking for an alternative to the Yanmar filter (paper hopefully) thus the question.

What say ye wise sages of the board?

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Bump?????

Post by barfwinkle »

:D
Bill Member #250.
Dean Abramson

Heard that too

Post by Dean Abramson »

I used to own a 25D with a 1GM. A marina diesel mechanic told me the same thing, but I figured Yanmar knows what they are doing. I decided to keep an eye on the filter, and changed it when it looked a little dicey.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Steve Laume

When the filter goes so does all the dirt it collected

Post by Steve Laume »

Thanks for the reminder. When I checked the air filter in my boat after I purchased her I found it had been sucked into the engine. At least it doesn't have to go through the fuel system so it burns up and is exhausted. It does kind of defeat it's own purpose. When I went to replace mine on the Universal I couldn't find the right size so I bought a bigger one and cut it into 3 or 4. It was cheaper and I have spares. I will check on the old one next trip down. It may be an annual part of recommissioning. I have a sailing weekend coming on. It's going to be a good one too. It has nothing to do with the weather, Steve.
Pete

Air Filter- Positive / Negative

Post by Pete »

Yes, you need some sort of filter to prevent small items from entering the engine! I have the same "Stone Catcher", type air filter with a simple foam cover over the air intake screen on my Universal Engine. The issue for me is that it only stops large items from entering the air-intake. The foam cover is just not enough (I feel).

Positive: On the good side, a quality air filter will dampen the engine noise and keep out the small particles of dust. One major source of dust is the fan belt (you know, all that fine black dust you have on your engine?) Engines like clean air, a filter can help provided that it doesn't block the air flow. My guess, that is why some people said, "Diesel Engines don't need an air filter.", is to make sure that air flow is not restricted.

Negative: Diesel engines need two key things, clean fuel and air! If you put on a filter that is not designed for your engine--then you can end up starving the engine for air. Yes, you have stopped the fine particles, but may also starve your engine.

The best air filter set up I have seen is on the Beta Marine Engines. I plan on (once I get a few more boat units stored) replacing my air filter assembly with a model from "Beta Marine". My engine block started out as a Kubota, the same engine Beta uses and their air-filter canister solution is ideal.

Enjoy clean air.
Pc
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I have these wire mesh and "steel wool" type air filters on my volvo-the instructions are to soak them in diesel fuel and the coat them with motor oil once a year-I never quite felt comfortable with that as I have the mind set from working on cars that an air filter is something you throw away and eplace when its dirty- but I do it anyway-I would think if the engine came with air cleaners it would be prudent to use them-