What a beautiful day.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wingreen

What a beautiful day.

Post by wingreen »

We just got back from a day-sail around Anclote Key. The weather was totally awesome. We sailed all the way out around marker #1, tacked about 1/3 way up the windward side of the Key, then went back around the southern tip and back home. Picked up a gyro on the way home, and we arrived back in time to pick up the kids from school. All in a day's work...

Winds were 10 - 15 kt, w/ 2 - 4 ft. seas. There were way too many motorboaters for a Wed. Don't those people have jobs?

Well, it's beer time. All that sun and fun makes a man thirsty...
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I had one of those on Boston Harbor on Monday. Light air mostly, but enough to make the boat go. NO POWERBOATS!!!! Still too cool for them, I suppose. I had Dorchester Bay by myself and President Roads nearly so.

There's a consultant I knew in my past, an older gent, who had a Ty, in Maine. He was fond of working with the tiller in one hand and the cell phone in the other, all for about $250 an hour. When I grow up, I want to be just like him.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

I like days like that, Neil. We had some space once we left the ICW - I don't think the motorboaters were prepared for the seas, so most of them stayed in the channel.

Hmm... working while sailing? I suppose it's possible, but I'd be afraid that it might have an adverse effect on my feelings about sailing. Then again - I used to lie to myself whenever I brought my books to the beach w/ me when I was in college. I had the best intentions, but it just never worked out the way it was supposed to.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

wingreen wrote:Hmm... working while sailing? I suppose it's possible, but I'd be afraid that it might have an adverse effect on my feelings about sailing.
I like my work, for the most part. In any case, I'd be selective about which clients I'd be engaged with... and it also requires weather and traffic conditions that don't interfere with keeping a good watch. Ultimately, the safety of the vessel trumps work.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

Haha.. You mean the type of clients who don't mind their consultant being out on the water while they have to work? I want clients like that!!! I'd prefer the ones that would understand when work starts to affect sailing!
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Hold on a second, I have to tack...

Post by bhartley »

More than once, I've had to put the phone down to tack! Fortunately most of my client's don't know that I am out sailing while I'm talking to them.

Cell reception is great on the lake. If only I had wireless Internet access, I would never go home again.

Hating you for having your boat in the water... good weather or not!

Bly
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

wingreen wrote:Haha.. You mean the type of clients who don't mind their consultant being out on the water while they have to work?
The idea is to get them to understand that if they listen to my advice, they'll soon be sailing instead of working, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

Neil Gordon wrote:
wingreen wrote:Haha.. You mean the type of clients who don't mind their consultant being out on the water while they have to work?
The idea is to get them to understand that if they listen to my advice, they'll soon be sailing instead of working, too.
I would suggest that the next step be to train them not to call you when you're sailing...

wingreen: "How many times have I told you not to call me when I'm sailing?!"
client: "Sorry Mr. Wingreen, It won't happen again..."
Carl Thunberg

Working and Sailing

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Man, I'd LOVE to see Carter playing his cello while single-handing! Now THAT's multi-tasking.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon

Re: Working and Sailing

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Man, I'd LOVE to see Carter playing his cello while single-handing! Now THAT's multi-tasking.
Remember the picture of Carter steering with his toe?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Here Too!

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Great sailing weather here on Long Island this week. The boat went in last Monday. I took an unexpected swim also and I think that guarantees a good season. Maybe John V. can add that in his book,"If you fall in the water while launching the boat you will have a good sailing year." Anyway, we had two real nice daysails so far. Monday (the photo) a gentle breeze and flat water-no Beaufort scale required. Yesterday some whitecaps, rail down on the way out and a nice fast broad reach back. Good to be out on the water again! http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sra ... 91b384.jpg
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Yesterday!

Post by henry hey »

was gorgeous.

I took her out for the first sail of the year and somewhat of a shakedown with my refitting.

Have a look.

http://flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=493194346&size=o

and you can see a few other shots here:

http://flickr.com/photos/heyness/

Spring is finally really here.

h
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Henry:

That is one BEAUTIFUL CD 25. Your painting and finishing work really paid off. Very, very nice.

A question: I thought all the CD 25s that I have seen have the small "slat"-type "plastic looking" portals that do not open. Your CD 25 appears to have the bronze oblong (?) portals that may open. Was she built this way or is this something that was changed by you or a PO :?:

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

ports

Post by henry hey »

Seahunt,

1979 was a pivotal year for the CD25. All the 25s prior to 79 were, as you said, plastic portholes. 79,80 and 81 were all bronze opening spartan ports. I believe there are a few other changes that accompanied this shift including rigging size, fresh tank size and something else but I can't be exactly clear. There is much information on all of these differences buried here in the board.

FYI, my CD25 is the very first hull with bronze ports -- at the original owners request.

-henry
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Re: Working and Sailing

Post by Carter Brey »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Man, I'd LOVE to see Carter playing his cello while single-handing! Now THAT's multi-tasking.
[img]http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/delphine_with_cello.jpg[/img]