Adhesive Question - Metal to Metal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Clay Stalker

Adhesive Question - Metal to Metal

Post by Clay Stalker »

I purchased an Origo 4000 drop-in stove for Yankee Lady to replace the Kenyon pressurized stove. The cut-out was too large to just drop in and screw the Origo, so I removed the frame from the Kenyon and put it back in. Now, the Origo will fit, but there is still a bit too much open space, and the screw holes don't line up with anything I can screw them into.....so, my question is this. Is there an adhesive that will bond metal to metal that I can use? Will 3M 5200 hold the stainless Origo frame to the metal frame from the Kenyon? In summary, there is enough contact to lay the Origo on top of the edge of the frame, but not enough space to screw it in with major modifications....it looks like if I put a bead of some kind of adhesive around, the stove will sit nicely on it....
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Ron M.

Gorilla

Post by Ron M. »

I've had good luck adhering aluminum with polyurethane glue. you might want to abrade the surfaces slightly. I made some brackets to hold my VHF in a cabinet and have not had any problem.
________
Dc Medical Marijuana
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

You might try JB Weld? It is designed for gluing metal. I have not had good experience with it when gluing surfaces that get hot but in this application I would worry about 5200 getting too hot as well.
Duncan Maio

Mechanical Fasteners

Post by Duncan Maio »

Clay:

I'm having trouble visualizing your setup, but would it be possible to use the screw holes in the Origo to attach the Kenyon frame using machine screws and little clips, sort of like an undermount sink is attached? Depending on how much clearance you have and whether you can attach the Kenyon frame to the stove and then drop the whole thing into the opening, you might be able to bolt the parts together with some fender washers.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Clay Stalker

Mechanical Fasteners

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Duncan:

Your idea of mechanical fastening using clips is a good one, but i don't think I can do it. I know this is hard to visualize, but the Origo has a lid, the top part opens up, and the bottom is just a stainless box. This box has a lip around it, approximately 1/2" around with holes to screw into the counter.....however, the holes are too far away from the counter, so with the Kenyon frame in place, it gives something to sit the Origo on....but the holes are half on the frame and half off....so to fasten with screws, the angle would be too severe. It looks like it would be much simpler to just put a thin bead of something around the very edge of the Kenyon frame and lay the Origo on top....then when the lid is closed, it looks almost flush to the counter with just a small part of the Kenyon frame showing.....looks acceptable to me. I am not concerned about heat, as the Origo is designed to generate very little heat in that area....so I mainly am concerned with whether something like 3M 5200 or some other adhesive like Gorilla glue could be used to secure the stainless Origo to the metal frame...it would just sit on top, about 1/3" inch all around....don't know if this makes sense....
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Duncan Maio

3M DuoPak Adhesives

Post by Duncan Maio »

3M ScotchWeld adhesives or similar 2-part epoxy-in-a-mixing-syringe may be what you want. Acrylic adhesives bond raw metal better, but the available colors are not as attractive as you might like. The urethane adhesives are not recommended for unprimed metal.

Try www.mcmaster.com at pages 3291-92. If you find something that works, I probably have a gun I can lend you, and maybe some nozzles.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
joeeb

Post by joeeb »

Most auto body shops use the new expoxy technology to fasten metal to metal. Any auto supply store will supply you with the correct product.
Sometimes the applicator gun can run you 20-50 dollars because these products have to be carefully metered.
goodluck