Stuffing Box Adjustment

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grabhamb

Stuffing Box Adjustment

Post by grabhamb »

After hauling this spring for what I thought was going to be a quick haul for stuffing box adjustment, thru hull servicing, painting and wax, I started with the stuffing box. I've only had our 1986 Cape Dory 36 for three seasons and before it was a simple adjustment of the nut on the shaft. This year I thought I'd do it right and replace the flax with some of the Gore Tex dripless packing material.

Alas, I backed off the locking nut and began to loosen the adjusting nut and ran into the transmission coupling just as the adjusting nut got far enough forward to come off of the threads. There is absolutely no room to get to the old flax, much less replace with the new dripless. Am I missing something or is this a common situation with Cape Dory's? I can't imagine that they installed the stuffing box so close to the transmission that you can't even get to the old flax. As I look down on it from my starboard side quarter berth it appears as if from the shaft log to the transmission coupling is only about 8-10 inches. Do I have a weird setup or is this common to all CD36's?

I don't even know where to begin. Perhaps this is a time for a new PSS shaft seal, new stainless shaft and a feathering prop. I really hate to drop several thousand dollars on all that. I guess I could just screw it all back together and adjust to one drip a minute once back in the water.

Has anyone else faced this dilemma and how did you resolve the problem? Thank you all for the collective wisdom of this board.

Bob Grabham
S/V Hunky Dory, CD36 #140
Rappahannock River, Virginia
Russell

Post by Russell »

Odd that you couldnt back the nut all the way off, I dont recall having that problem on my CD36. What condition is the rubber hose in that the stuffing box is attached to? If it looks pretty good, then perhaps its been replaced and the PO made the hose a bit too long, that would explain the problem getting the nut off. You should have room to work with here, you might want to undo the hose clamps, and shorten the hose with a sharp razor blade, and push the base of the stuffing box furthur in so you can get the nut off. The stern tube itsself is flush with the fibreglass of the hull, so you have an idea of how much you have to work with here.

By the way, your idea of a PSS shaft seal wont work, I tried it, not enough space for it, unless you no longer have the origonal 4-108, but given your space issue, I suspect you still have it.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
grabhamb

Post by grabhamb »

Russell - Excellent idea. The condition of the rubber hose isn't what I'd call great but, correct me if I'm wrong, you'd have to remove the shaft to replace the hose. Your idea of cutting the hose just a bit seems realistic. Thanks for the great suggestion. I may not have to spend thousands after all. :D
Bob Grabham,
S/V Hunky Dory
Regent Point Marina
Topping, VA
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I had the same problem with my cd 28-I believe it was caused by the installation of a "drive saver" but I could not replace the packing without removing the engine or the propeller shaft-if your hose is in good shape i would continue to use the stuffing box-the packing will always be present and will never wear out to the point it will sink your boat-its just a question of how much of a leak you can live with-A few years ago my vent hose got wrapped around the back of the propeller shaft inside the boat and the wire from the vent hose sliced the rubber shaft log hose to ribbons-neccesitating an emergency haul out and the replacement of the shaft-the boat yard refused to use an old school stuffing box and installed a dripless seal-but as fas as I know the packing in my stuffing box had never been replaced from 1974 until 1989 when I pulled the engine-so if you can still tighten it-I wouldn't sweat it-keep in mind as nice as Cape Dorys are-they did some stupid things when they built them-(sorry but its true)
Russell

Post by Russell »

Good point wayne, one of those driver savers would certainly cause this problem as well, I had not thought of that.

Bob, if your hose is not in great shape, you do have to be concerned about it falling to bits if you try to cut a bit of it off. My hose was origonal and when taking everything apart not long ago it just came to peices. But if yours is like this, it is due for replacement anyways.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)