My Continuing Search for a Cape Dory

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

you are probably ready

Post by seadawg »

Thanks for your post Dean. It helps me realize that I'm not the only one spending alot on boat. If something needs a fix or replace I just can't stand to let it be.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Buy A CD

Post by Oswego John »

Dean hit the nail square on the head. Some of the other posters, too. Owning a boat is an ongoing process of fixing up, dolling up and having pride in your possession.

I'll tell you what I do. Ever since I retired, and that was many moons ago, I have been buying Cape Dories in all sorts of undescribable conditions, make them seaworthy and safe, doll them up a bit and sell them. CDs sell like hotcakes. Not only does this supplement my retirement income, but keeps my old bones busy doing something that gives me pleasure doing. I've been building and working on boats since Hector was a puppy, and I plan to continue as long as I am able.

The secret is like the poster said, if the foundation is good, all kinds of good things can be done. A boat doesn't have to be Bristol to be worthy of purchase. If it's in half way decent shape, buy it and sail it while making it Bristol.

I've been reading Sea Hunt's posts for a long time. I've had a few boats come in and out that would have been perfect for him. I never notified him because of his narrow set of parameters and objectives in a boat. (Besides, I hate rejection :D ) There is no way a person who is leery of towing a boat across the state of Florida would want to tow one fron central New York.

There are plenty of boats out there for the dickering and horse trading. There are some that are average condition and price, and there are others that can be bought at a steal. If anyone's focus is too narrow, the right boat will never appear on the horizon.

Just last night, my son got a call from a good friend of mine to say that he just closed that afternoon on a CD open Daysailer. (Rare and kind of hard to find.) He needs another sailboat like I need a root canal. We network with other sailors. This boat came with a nearly new 4 HP outboard and NEW set of sails. I'm not going to tell you how much the price was, you couldn't handle it. This Daysailer is a creampuff.

Why am I saying this? Don't overlook a fragrant rose while searching for an orchid. If you're not too particular and your parameters aren't too confining, there are lots of good buys out there, some better than others. Tunnel vision while searching for Bristol at a low price will result is missing out on some real good deals.

But then, again. Don't lower your standards on my, or others, say so.

Good luck on your search. (Reads, hurry up. Get sailing)
O J

PS: I get my best deals after summer is over. Then, people are either truly discouraged with sailing, trading up or they don't want to pay for winter storage. In the springtime, prices are high and firm. People are hot to trot for the new sailing season. My 2¢ O J
Clay Stalker

Not Offending Anyone

Post by Clay Stalker »

Robert:

I can assure you that you are not offending anyone on this board. Most of us enjoy reading about your exploits and if we didn't want to read them, we don't have to.

Dean's recent purchase should alleviate any fears you have about purchasing a boat. He is an experienced boat owner and sailor and still has his hands full with his new boat. This is not an exact science. Old boats need lots of work, no matter what. The key to success is to find a solid platform (hull, deck, engine) and the rest can be easily dealt with. A good surveyor will help you determine what you should end up paying. I just purchased another old boat and will have my hands full restoring her over the next few years....and I expected that for the price. She is a solid platform and that's all I care about.

As for the size, well, most of us have learned that a boat shrinks in the water very quickly. You may not think you can handle a bigger boat, but you will learn that you can. Bigger boats are actually easier to sail, up to a point. A CD25 or 22 are great boats, but if you want to do any cruising or overnighting, you will find them small....very capable, but small. I can assure you that sailing a CD27 is little different from sailing a CD25, and a 27 will give you all the room you need. Just my thoughts.

So keep us informed about the process, and good luck.

P.S. e-mail me anytime for help or advice....I am happy to help.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

OJ and Clay:

Thank you both very much for your continuing offers of assistance, advise and counsel. It is much appreciated, particularly for a tadpole sailor like me. I wish there was some way I could repay your kindness and that of the other members of this board. A large part of my desire to own a Cape Dory and no other sailboat is this board and the support system it offers for guys like me with no experience.

As of now, it looks like the CD 22 is not meant to be. We are apparently way too far apart on price. I have not received any response from the seller to my offer. I am told this is not a good sign. :( I honestly believe, as the seller himself has suggested, that he is conflicted about selling his Cape Dory. Although I do not know, I think he may have been "testing the waters" and has now decided to keep her. Very understandable. My loss. :(

The search continues.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Barthel

Post On

Post by Dick Barthel »

Sea Hunt:

I'm personally enjoying the twists and turns of your search and I say be as particular as you like.

As for a 25D, 27 or 28? You seemed to be focused on the square footage but its all relative. As the square footage increases so does the ballast, displacement and draft. And I say there is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with a double reefed main and a partially deployed jib. In up to moderate conditions all three boats will sail like absolute pussy cats. And there is lots of other things you can do to take the anxiety out of your early experiences besides just shortening sails. And this board will assist in that regard.

"What's won is done...The soul of joy lies in the doing." [W.S.] In other words keep on "hunting" [pun intended].

Dick
MarkW

Finding your pace and path

Post by MarkW »

Sea Hunt.

About 5 years ago I decided I wanted to get back into sailing after a MANY year hiatus. I decided that I wanted to get a trailer sailboat, avoid the costs of storage, and explore different bodies of water.

So I started looking at boats and then decided I would do a try run. Get up, stall for the time to hook up the boat, drive to a ramp, and watch people put their boats. I didn't get beyond that. This was not the way I wanted to sail.

I joined a local sailing club with access to the 26+ foot cruisers and started working my way up to a membership with access to mid30 foot boats and my Bareboat 40 ASA certificate. Last year I decided that I really wanted my own boat and was fortunate enough to get a CD28. I love it.

As I considered my options I focused on what I really needed versus what I wanted. During the two years that I had access to the 34 foot cruisers (my second goal), I never showered on board. I rarely sailed with more than 4 people. And most of my trips were day sails with the occasional overnight. I did decide that I wanted standing headroom. I love the larger CDs but they were beyond my reach for purchase and maintenance. I am still dealing with the maintenance of my 28.

My point here is that it's a catch 22. You won't know what you really want until you get out there and start sailing. And you may find that what you want changes as your experience increases.
So see if you can find a way to get on the water. Maybe take a look for an ASA school. Sail with friends. Offer to crew. Anything to get out on the water. Then at least you are sailing.

I would expect that as your experience increases you may find that a CD27/28 is not that difficult to handle. (I actually find the 28 very easy to handle compared to even the 31 footers.) Then again you may find that a 22 more than fits the bill. Find what works for you and go with it. In the meantime I can recommend an ASA sailing school to build your experience and confidence. That's what worked for me.

Keep us posted.

Good luck.

...................................Mark out
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

CD27 as first boat

Post by John D. »

Sea Hunt:

Lilypad was my first sailboat. Before the purchase, I'd crewed on other boats, taken overnight cruising lessons, and bare chartered a Hunter 28. My experience was moderate, but I've never found the CD27 to be too much boat, and there have been 1 or 2 times when I was glad for every foot.

John
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

S.H.
Please take no offense at my comment yesterday.
My frustration in following your saga is you're so much energy in searching for the 'perfect' boat you are missing learning and enjoying sailing what ever ideal vessel you ultimately end up with.You shouldn't be afraid of 'too much boat', any CD under 30' can be single handed with some cautious practice. Find a boat in decent condition with good working systems and take the jump. If need be hire an instructor to teach you how to handle your specific boat -- I did 20 yrs. ago and I gained a wealth of knowledge and confidence. Its most often the unknown that intimidates us, put yourself in a situation to learn...........and off you go! Good luck
________
Toyota Carina Ii
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Any interest in an Alberg 22?

Post by RIKanaka »

Found this listing for an Alberg 22:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/5688

Similar to the Cape Dory. This one looks to be in good shape. I don't know where you're located but this one's in NC.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn