Bulkhead Compass for CD26

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

dgsail
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 26, Hull 50, Bridget, Montrose Harbor, ChicagoOriginal Owner

Bulkhead Compass for CD26

Post by dgsail »

Does anyone have resources for compass?
Debbie Garrity
Frenchy

Re: Bulkhead Compass for CD26

Post by Frenchy »

On my old Cal 27, I had a Plastimo with integrated heel angle incorporated. I liked it. The current version is the Plastimo 130 which
sells in the neighborhood of $300. The Richie Navigator might be slightly better, but sells for around $500. Both the Richie and Plastimo
can mount on a sloped bulkhead.
The Plastimo can be read from inside the cabin (I don't know how useful this feature would be for you).

Another option is the Richie Explorer which sells for between $100-$150. This is a smaller compass which would be more
difficult to read across the cockpit, I think. Personally, I wouldn't consider it. Good luck in your search - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Bulkhead Compass for CD26

Post by John Stone »

Depends on what you are trying to do. I have a Richie navigator BN 202. But it's a primary instrument for me. I rely on it extensively instead of electronic mapping etc.

The Platismo looks good as does the mini contest but I don't have experience with either of them.

https://www.westmarine.com/plastimo-min ... 4vEALw_wcB
Attachments
IMG_7427.jpeg